Voiced by: Jim Cummings
Real name: (assumed to be) Drake Mallard
Nicknames: Negs, Neggy, Negaroonie, Public Enemy #1
Occupation: Criminal, evil twin
Darkwing Duck (enemy, twin)
Nega-Gosalyn (adopted daughter)
The Fearsome Five (lackeys)
Negaduck is Darkwing’s evil doppleganger from an alternate universe known as “The Negaverse”. He is completely identical to Darkwing in every aspect except he wears a different-coloured outfit. His voice is also lower, often accompanied with a growl.
Negaduck has no super-powered abilities but matches Darkwing in wits and cunning. Negaduck is usually faster to react and comes up with pretty intricate plans for world domination. He is also a complete sadist who enjoys destroying public property and hurting others.
In the Negaverse, he rules with an iron (or feathered) fist as “Lord Negaduck” where his only enemies are the Friendly Four, consisting of the Negaverse versions of Quackerjack, Megavolt, Bushroot, and The Liquidator. Just like Darkwing, he somehow came into possession of the Negaverse version of Gosalyn but it is implied that he isn’t much of a father to her (at one point Darkwing states he’ll help the Friendly Four since there was no “Drake Mallard to be a father for her”).
Negs also fancies himself as somewhat of a Casanova. In the episode “My Valentine Ghoul” he thought he could use his charm and good looks to win over Morgana Macawber in order to use her magic for his diamond smuggling plot.
He is the leader of the Fearsome Five and despite being physically weaker than the rest of its members, he maintains authority by instilling fear in them. Swinging around his chainsaw a few times usually shuts them up. He prides himself on being St. Canard’s Public Enemy Number One and will stoop to any act of violence to maintain that title. In “Quiverwing Quack” he is usurped by Dr. Slug which drives him into a rage, causing him to go all-out chaotic on St. Canard. In the end it isn’t really revealed whether he reclaimed his title or not.
According to an interview with Darkwing creator Tad Stones, the Negaverse Negaduck was created to bridge the gap between the original Negaduck because he was such a well-received character. They wanted him to return for more episodes, but couldn’t keep tronsplitting Darkwing. The concept of the ‘Negaverse’ was then created instead for this Negaduck. Tad confirmed this fact on the Old Haunt Forum as well:
- “Negaduck” (the original tron-split Negaduck only).
- “Life, The Negaverse, and Everything”
- “Going Nowhere Fast”
- “Jail Bird”
- “Just Us Justice Ducks” (Parts 1 and 2)
- “My Valentine Ghoul”
- “Disguise The Limit”
- “Bad Luck Duck”
- “The Secret Origins of Darkwing Duck”
- “The Quiverwing Quack”
- “Let’s Get Respectable”
- “Darkwing Doubloon”
- “Malice’s Restaurant”
Facts about Negs:
- The cartoon never delves into whether Negaduck recognizes Drake Mallard, even though they have been in the same room together (“Going Nowhere Fast”).
- He enjoys the smell of rotten fish (“Disguise The Limit”).
- He carries a Specially Trained Attack Squid on his person at all times (“Malice’s Restaurant”).
- In the first issue of the Disney Afternoon comic entitled “Kitchen Clean-Up” NegaDuck’s colours are different (grey and yellow) and he appears only through an enchanted mirror. The mirror concept is never mentioned or explained in the cartoon.
- In “The Secret Origins of Darkwing Duck” he is supposedly Darkwing’s cousin. However, this episode is typically viewed as “non-canon” or an alternate universe.